Will Smith had grabbed eyeballs when he had slapped comedian and host Chris Rock on the stage of the Academy Awards held recently. The Dr. Dolittle actor is now facing a ban from the Academy for ten years. Will Smith was quick to respond towards the decision and said that he accepts and respects the decision. The announcement of the ban was made by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in response to the slapping incident at the 2022 Oscars.
The Academy said that the decision has been made by the Board of Governors for a period of ten years from April 8, 2022. Will Smith will not be able to attend any of the Academy events or programs, personally or virtually. The statement from the Academy added that they are thankful towards Chris Rock for maintaining his composure under such extraordinary circumstances. The Academy also thanked the winners, presenters and nominees for their poise and grace during the telecast. It was also announced that the 53 year old actor will keep the Oscar award that he had won for his role in King Richard.
Smith had last week announced that he was resigning from the Academy which would mean that he would no longer be able to vote but will be able to be nominated and attend the award show. During that time, the actor said that his actions at the 94th Academy Awards were shocking, painful and inexcusable. Will added that the list of those who he has hurt is long and it include Chris, his family and a number of their dear friends along with the global audience who were watching from home.
It was on March 27, 2022 when Will Smith had slapped Chris Rock in front of the live audience at the 94th Academy Awards. Will had apparently lost his cool after Rock joked about Smith’s wife Jada Pinketh Smith, who struggles with a skin condition known as alopecia.
Photo Credits: Will Smith Official Instagram account