Table manners is something that is taught in school, but many of us often take it for granted and end up violating some of the rules that need to be followed, especially when you are presenting yourself in front of people who are important or are at some corporate event. They could be usage of particular cutlery for some foods or just the way we eat. It is important that one has at least the basic knowledge that comes handy at any point of time. Here are a few basics that you need to know about table manners.
1. Don’t use your phone – When you are on a table with your family or colleagues, it is rude to take out your phone and is also a sign of disrespect. Make sure that you avoid using any device while having a meal.
2. Do not chew with your mouth open – This is the basic courtesy to keep your mouth closed when you are having food in your mouth. You also have to make sure that you don’t talk with food in your mouth. It is not just rude, but it could also get clumsy.
3. Place the napkin on your lap – When the meal arrives on the table, make sure that you place the napkin on your lap and don’t tuck it in your collar. Additionally, when you want to use the washroom, make sure that you place the napkin on the chair and not on the table.
4. Don’t reach for the food – When you are sitting on a table, ask a family member or others sitting to pass on the food that you wish to have, instead of reaching out yourself. This is followed, so you don’t get clumsy.
5. Do not place your elbows on the table – The table is actually for the food and not for the body to rest. Make sure that you don’t rest your elbows on the table.
Photo Credits: Pixabay