Almond milk is a great substitute for dairy and a number of people, especially people who follow a vegan diet, opt for this in place of cow, goat or buffalo milk. The nuts contain high amount of monounsaturated fatty acids that helps to contribute towards weight loss as well as weight management. However, not many people are aware that almond milk does not contain much protein and other nutrients when compared to soy, cow or goat’s milk. Before you decide on a complete switch towards almond milk here are a few side effects of it.
- Digestive problems – Consuming too much of almond milk can lead to digestive problems like stomach ache, nausea or diarrhea. Studies day that consumption of finely ground almonds is better.
- Allergies – People who have allergies from nuts should avoid this non-dairy option at all costs. Nearly 3 percent of the global population is affected by food allergies.
- Nutrient absorption goes down – There are all the chances that consumption of almond milk on a regular basis could lead block the absorption of some of the important nutrients like iron, zinc and magnesium. This can happen due to the presence of phytic acid in it. When phytic acid enters the gut it leads to poor absorption of the important minerals.
- Deficiencies – Almond milk cannot be used as a substitute for children under the age of 1 year as it cannot meet the nutritional requirements. This could lead to nutritional deficiency.
- Insufficient iodine content – People who consume almond milk might be prone to inadequate iodine intake. It is wise to look for another source for iodine to make up for the requirements.
- Contains Carrageenan – It can contain a certain percentage of carrageenan that could affect the gastrointestinal tract.
Conclusion – It has to be noted that the side effects of almond milk should be taken seriously. Also check for the labels of the brands and the nutrition expectations that you may have from them.
Photo Credits: Unsplash