Chia seeds are considered as protein rich food and is highly nutritious. They are from the mint family and are known for their benefits for the body and brain. Chia seeds are oval in shape and are hydrophilic. They absorb 12 times their weight in liquid when they are soaked and give a distinct gel like texture in beverages. Here are some of the benefits of consuming chia seeds on a daily basis.
1. Stuffed with nutrients – Chia seeds are great in terms of nutrients and have fibre, protein, calcium, manganese and phosphorus. It also contains a good about of vitamin B3, Zinc, potassium and Vitamin B2. Another good thing about this is that it contains just 101 calories per 28 grams.
2. Contain anti-oxidants – The anti-oxidants protect the sensitive fats in the seeds from going rancid. They help fight the production of free radicals that damage cell molecules that later contribute to ageing and some diseases like cancer.
3. Most of the carbohydrates in them are fibre – 28 grams of the seeds has 12 grams of carbs and 11 of those grams contain fibre,that the body does not digest. Fibre does not increase blood sugar and does not even require insulin for it to be disposed off. This increases fullness and the food is absorbed slowly.
4. High on protein – The seeds are high on protein. High protein intake lowers the appetite and also reduces the obsessive thoughts about food by about 60 percent. Even the night time desire to snack comes down to 50 percent.
5. Helps to lose weight – Since it is high on protein and high on fibre, the combination helps those who are trying to reduce weight. Protein helps to reduce food intake and fibre helps to remain full for a longer time. The food intake is automatically reduced and promotes weight loss. However, including chia seeds in diet might not lead to weight loss, it has to be accompanied by exercise.
Photo Credits: Pixabay