Prunes are not just delicious but are also high on nutrition level. Since they have a number of minerals and vitamins they are nutritious and good for health. But the fruit also has a dark side to it as its consumption can also lead to a few side effects. Prunes should be consumed but in limits or it can also show its negative effects. This means that whenever, you are consuming prunes, make sure that you do not consume more than required and in limits. Here are a few negative effects of prunes if not eaten responsibly.
1. Can cause loose motions – Prunes have high fibre content and high consumption of fibre can lead to loose motions. They contain a natural compound known as sorbitol that works as a natural laxative. Make sure that you do not over consume them.
2. High on calories – The fruit is heavy on calories and if you eat too much of them then you might end up consuming too many calories, which can lead to weight gain.
3. Has high glycemic index –The fruit has natural sweetness but its has a high glycemic index which can be harmful for people who suffer from diabetes. It is not recommended for the diabetic people for consumption as it can raise the blood sugar levels.
4. Can be heavy for the digestive system – Since prunes have complex carbohydrates along with sugar and together they can be hard on the digestive system. It can be tough for digestion and can also lead to problems like gas formation or bloating.
5. Not good for those who have constipation problems – Prunes can be a comfort food for those who have constipation issues as it is a natural laxative. But it is certainly not a good idea for someone with constipation to depend on the fruit for comfort.
Overall, prunes are surely healthy when consumed in limited levels.
Photo Credits: Pixabay