Dark spots or hyperpigmentation can seem unpleasant on the skin and can occur due to a number of circumstances. It could be caused due to sun exposure or due to consumption of medicines. For some it could also be caused due to pregnancy. Before you even attempt to get rid of the dark spots on your skin make sure that you first determine or rule out the cause. Here we will be discussing on ways to get rid of the dark sports or pigmentation that are caused by pimples and sun damage.
- Wear a sunscreen – Dark spots tend to darken even due to a slightest exposure. So to prevent them from further darkening, make sure that you wear a sunscreen lotion every time you step out. Along with a sunscreen, you could also wear a wide brimmed hat or carry an umbrella.
- Exfoliation – Exfoliation is a good technique to get rid of the extra dust or dead cells on the skin. This could be even more effective in cases where the spots are caused due to pigmentation. There are also chemical peal options but for that you need to consult a skin expert or a dermatologist.
- Depigmentation creams/serums – There are a number of creams and serums that are available in the market to help in cases of pigmentation. The creams help to break down the pigment and prevents more melanin formation. Some of the agents like niacinamide, licorice extract and arbutin help in the process.
- Vitamin C – It works as an anti-oxidant and helps in reducing the excess melanin synthesis when it is applied to the skin. When it is used for a long time, it helps to fade away the dark spots.
- Glutathione – This is also another anti-oxidant and can be consumed orally. It reduces the damage of free radicals to the skin and fades away the dark spots.
Photo Credits: Pixabay