Food items that do not need refrigeration are often kept in the pantry cabinet. Most of the people often check the label and if it says not to refrigerate, then it goes directly to the cabinet. But that is not for all the food items as some of the foods can last longer if they are stored in the freezer or the refrigerator. Here is a list of items that should not be kept in the kitchen cabinet.
1. Pure maple syrup – Who does not enjoy a good dollop of maple syrup on the pancakes. It can get moldy if kept in the pantry cabinet for a longer time, so it is best to be kept in the refrigerator.
2. Nuts – Nuts tend to be dry, but the slightest moisture can leave them moldy after the bacteria is left behind. It is best to store them in the fridge or the freezer.
3. Chocolate – Although it can be stored in the pantry if the consumption is short term. If you want it to have a longer shelf life then it is best to toss it in to the fridge.
4. Whole-grain flours – Whole-grain flour contains the bran as well as the germ. The bran and the germ contain oils and it can start smelling unpleasant if they are not stored properly. It is best to move them in to cold storage.
5. Home-made peanut butter – Natural or home-made peanut butter tends to separate while in the jar. So it needs to be kept cool. If it is left in the pantry it can start giving out an unpleasant odor.
6. Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise contains raw egg which makes it prone to salmonella which is a bacteria that can potentially give your stomach a bad time. Although cold storage of the food item will not kill the bacteria, but it will prevent the growth of it. Even the USDA has recommended that mayonnaise should be discarded if the temperature of it reaches 50 degrees Fahrenheit for more than eight hours.
Photo Credits: Pixabay