Johnson & Johnson recalling sunscreens over traces of benzene

Johnson & Johnson has recalled five of its products that could have traces of benzene, a chemical that can cause cancer

0
439
benzene

Pharma and cosmetic giant Johnson & Johnson announced on July 14, 2021 that it is recalling five of its sunscreen products. The company said that it is recalling the products after it found low levels of benzene which is a chemical that can lead to cancer after constant exposure. The products that have been recalled include four of the Neutrogena sunscreens and Aveeno Protect + Refresh aerosol sunscreen.

All the products have been packed in aerosol cans and all sizes have been recalled along with all levels of protection. The products have been distributed with the retailers across the nation. Johnson & Johnson said that it has found a chemical known as benzene after it was tested in one of its independent laboratory. The company is currently investigating how the chemical got in to the product.

Johnson & Johnson also assured that it is simultaneously working on removing all the recalled products from the retailer shelves and added that the customers will get a full refund after calling the Consumer care number at 1-800-458-1673. The consumers can get more information by visiting the official websites of Aveeno and Neutrogena.

The statement from the company added that the use of these products is not expected to cause any adverse health consequences. Johnson & Johnson also informed that it is a voluntary decision to recall the products. The statement from the company also said that people should start using an alternative sunscreen that would protect their skin from skin cancer.

Talking about the chemical benzene it ishighly inflammable and is found in the environment. The chemical can cause cancer only after its repeated use and high exposure. It also has the ability to damage the immune system and also prevents the cells from proper functioning. The effect of the chemical can vary from person to person. If a person inhales it accidentally, then it could cause dizziness, irregular heartbeats or convulsions.

Photo Credits: Pixabay