Black gram or black lentils are used mostly in Asian cuisine. It is not just quick to cook, but is also great for the overall health. They are a rich source of proteins, iron, potassium, magnesium and Vitamin B. Nutritionists say that they are also highly beneficial for the pregnant women due to its nutritive value. It improves digestion and is a very versatile pulse that goes in a number cuisines. Here are some of the unknown health benefits of having black lentil in your regular diet.
1. Great for the bone health – Black gram is rich in potassium, calcium and phosphorous which are all beneficial for the bone health. It is great for women who are prone to develop calcium related problems like osteoporosis. It helps in improving the bone density.
2. Manages diabetes – People who suffer from diabetes should include black gram in their diet on a regular basis as it contains dietary fibre that helps to maintain the blood sugar levels. It also prevents the sudden rise of the blood sugar levels that could be risky for a diabetic patient.
3. Good for the heart health – Urad Dal is a great source of potassium that helps to improve the blood circulation. It also helps to lower the tension on the blood vessels and the arteries and protects the arterial walls.
4. Great for digestion – Black gram contains soluble fibre that helps to absorb all the nutrients from the food and adds volume to the stool. This thus improves the digestion system.
5. Helps to reduce inflammation – Not many are aware that a paste of black gram can be applied externally on the muscles and joints to get some relief from pain and inflammation. It is also rich in anti-oxidants that works as an anti-ageing agent.
Black lentils can be made in a number of ways and could be made in to some irresistible savory recipes.
Photo Credits: Pixabay