There are a number of people who suffer from respiratory issues on a regular basis. However, such a condition could make them vulnerable to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Some of the respiratpry problems include asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease, also known as COPD. Now that lockdowns across the nations are easing up gently, it is more important for such people to be extra cautious. But the good news is that there are a few precautions and tips that can be followed by people with respiratory problems.
1. Avoid touching surfaces in public places – When you are outside, make sure that you do not touch any outside surfaces. The virus tends to remain on the metallic or other similar surfaces for a number of hours. Even if you do, make sure that you don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth and wash your hands immediately.
2. Practice breathing exercises everyday – it has been found that breathing exercises help people with respiratory issues. Breathing exercises helps to clear out the mucus from the lungs and lowers the risk of a flare-up.
3. Avoid going in the dust – People with respiratory problems, need to be careful from dust and pollutants. Wear a good quality mask, preferably an N95 mask with a filter in case it is essential for you to step out.
4. Eat lung friendly foods – Foods like apples, walnuts, broccoli and beans are rich in anti-oxidants and could be included in your everyday diet.
5. Eat plenty of fruits – Make sure that you include fruits in your diet. Fruits like pineapple, kiwi, papaya and berries are also rich in anti-oxidants and good for the health of the lungs.
6. Take medication as per your physician – Do not take medications as per your wish and always consult a physician. Stock up the medicines and avoid stepping out frequently. You can also take advantage of the home delivery of medicines that many companies do.
Photo Credits: Pixabay