Eyes are a part of the important vital organs of the body. Not many are aware that even the eyes need proper nutrition for proper functioning which is vision. They too can get damaged if proper nutrition is not taken or proper care is not taken. Medical practitioners say that there are certain nutrients that can be beneficial for the good health of the eyes. Here are a few nutrients that can be great for the good eye sight and health.
1. Vitamin C – Pretty predictable and also easily available. Not many are aware that Vitamin C also works as an anti-oxidant and helps to optimize the eye health. Some of the foods like sprouts, broccoli, bell peppers, leafy green vegetables and citrus fruits are great source of vitamin C.
2. Vitamin E – Vitamin E is important for a proper vision and deficiency of it can lead to blindness and retinal degeneration. Under such circumstances, it is important to include foods that are rich in Vitamin E. Foods like broccoli, shrimp, olive oil, spinach, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds are great sources of Vitamin E.
3. Omega 3 Fatty Acids – Omega 3 Fatty Acids protects the adults from macular degeneration and dry eye syndrome. It is not just beneficial for adults but also protects children from impaired vision. Some of the sources of Omega 3 fatty acids include fish, Sardines, nuts, seeds, flaxseed oil, canola oil and tuna.
4. Zinc – Zinc helps in the production of melanin which is a protective pigment for the eyes. Deficiency of this mineral can lead to a condition that is known as night blindness. Oysters, whole grains, baked beans, poultry and milk contain zinc.
5. Vitamin A – Deficiency of Vitamin A is one of the most common causes of blindness. This also protects the eyes from night blindness dry eyes. It can be found in the foods like egg yolks, fish oil and dairy products.
Photo Credits: Pixabay