Seafood is an important source of protein and vitamins for humans. There are many people do not prefer eating seafood, while others go all out and eat more than they can handle. Whether you enjoy seafood or not, one must take the necessary precautions to eat as healthy as possible.
Here are 5 tips on eating healthier seafood.
1. Low contamination fish: It is important to buy fish that do not live near the seabed, as they could pick up contaminants. Fish with high mercury level like swordfish and shark are to be avoided. Sardines, herring, anchovies, mackerel are good.
2. Origins: Find out where the fish came from. Try and buy fish which have been caught hygienically and would not have been transported over long distances.
3. Don’t eat Shrimp: Shrimp are rarely caught and stored in a hygienic manner. They have been found to contain chemicals, pesticides and antibiotics and are not a safe option when dining out.
4. Eat wild fish: Wild fish are known to have health benefits such as higher omega-3 levels, no antibiotics and a lower fat count. They are healthier to eat than farmed fish.
5. Cook healthy: You can cut down on the consumption of dioxins, pesticides and other dangers by cooking fish well. Cut away the dark meat along the centre and top of a fillet. Boil, bake, grill or steam fish, as frying is not a healthy option.