Nails on the fingers are meant for protection of your fingertips. During the winter months, nails tend to get dry and expand when they are wet. There are various reasons why the nails can become brittle and dry, but it’s pretty embarrassing when you are unable to deal with the situation. Here are a few home remedies to treat dry and brittle nails.
1. Oil massage – Regular massage on the nails with canola or safflower oil can prevent them from drying or tearing. The nails can be massaged with your fingertips with just a drop of oil on each nail.
2. Consumption of biotin – It is a nutrient which helps in growth of strong nails. Foods which contain biotin include nuts, cauliflower and lentils. If needed, one can even take biotin supplements of the nails are too week.
3. Supplements – Your fingernails get all nutrition from your diet, so eat some healthy food, which is rich in vitamin A, B, C and D. Include foods like fish, broccoli, whole grains and low fat dairy products and also drink plenty of water.
4. Moisturize – If the problem is not so severe, then it can be treated by regular moisturizing. Moisturize them immediately after wash your hand as the skin and nails absorb better when moist. You can use any mild moisturizer with Vitamin E oil.
5. Olive oil – Soak fingers in at least one inch of olive oil in a bowl for about 15 minutes. Wash off the oil with a mild soap. This will help to keep the cuticles healthy and prevent further damage.