Are you one of those who are feeling tired during the day time, despite having a good sleep the previous night? Then there are all the chances that you might not be having good quality sleep. Poor sleep quality can directly affect your blood sugar levels or worsen the moods that can cause headaches or cravings or even cause indigestion issues. Here are a few possibilities you could be messing up with your sleep routine.
1. Eating close to bed time – Late night snacking, can slow down the digestion. Night is a time when the stomach needs to rest as it has been working for the entire day. But if you eat close to your sleep time, it could lead to acid reflux and disturb your sleep.
2. Gadgets before sleep – Exposure to blue-light can disturb your sleep as it blocks the hormone known as Melatonin that makes you fall asleep. It is important that you avoid using gadgets just before you sleep or at least one hour before you go to bed.
3. Poor sleep hygiene – Sleep hygiene involves the proper time of going to bed every night. Make sure that you go to sleep at the same time every night. Moreover, you should also have a relaxed bed time routine like meditating, reading journals or just gentle stretching.
4. Intense workouts – If you are indulging in high intensity workouts near sleep time, then remember that it stimulates the nervous system and releases adrenaline. The body temperature has to cool down before sleep and this could delay your sleep time. Avoid working out at least 1 to 2 hours before bed time.
5. Consumption of alcohol – Alcohol consumption in small amount can have a sedative effect, but when consumed in large amount then it could be linked to poor sleep quality and also reduced duration of REM (rapid eye movement ) sleep. Consumption of alcohol near sleep time also increases the risk of sleep apnea.
Photo Credits: Pixabay