The condition of bloating is very common during pregnancy. It is a feeling that makes the woman uncomfortable due to the constant formation of gases in the stomach. This can start occurring during the 11th week of pregnancy and can sometimes also last till the delivery. Bloating or gas formation is caused due to the hormone called as progesterone which is essential to maintain the health of pregnancy. Here are a few tips that would help pregnant women to deal with bloating issues.
1. Drink plenty of water – Drinking plenty of water during pregnancy is anyway good and also keeps the digestion in check. It also helps to reduce the bloating and gas formation.
2. Eat food rich in fibre –While you might already be eating healthy during pregnancy, also include fibre rich food like leafy greens, fruits and legumes. Soluble fibre helps to digest food faster and also helps in constipation issues.
3. Have small meals in the day – Instead of having three big meals, it is advisable to have small meals in two to three hours in a day. This helps to keep the digestion in track and also helps to reduce bloating and heartburn.
4. Eat Slowly – It has been taught since childhood that food has to be properly chewed and this is more relevant during pregnancy. Having food in a fast pace can lead to formation of gases in the stomach as the stomach acids are not enough to digest the food.
5. Avoid stress – Take a break from work and be relaxed and take deep breathes before you eat. Do not think or watch television while you are eating.
6. Indulge in pre-natal exercise – Pre-natal exercise is a great way to improve your digestion. You just need to make sure to avoid any strenuous exercise. Optionally, you can also go for walks for at least half an hour.
Photo Credits: Pixabay