Acids tend to be sour and are also corrosive in nature. On the other hand alkalis have the elements that have the ability to neutralize the acids. The stomach also secretes gastric acids when the process of digestion is on. It tends to have a PH Balance of about 2.0-3.5 which is pretty high but is essential for digestion. The figure can also go higher due to unhealthy eating habits and can lead to acidity other gastric issues. This means that it is important to include foods that are alkaline in nature. Here are a few foods which are alkaline in nature and could be included in the diet.
1. Root vegetables – There are a few root vegetables like lotus root, sweet potatoes, yam and carrots are a great source of alkali. Salads can be included in everyday diet and its preparation is alkaline in nature.
2. Cruciferous vegetables – Some of the cruciferous vegetables include cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage are alkaline in nature. These vegetables should be included in the everyday diet.
3. Citrus fruits – Citrus fruits like oranges and lemon are known for their sour nature and have a good alkalizing effect on the body. Lemon juice can be included in everyday diet as it helps to enhance the taste of the food.
4. Onion and Garlic – Onions are high on the alkaline scale and Garlic is considered as a super food as its consumption proves to be healthy. They also have anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Nuts – Nuts can be a great substitute for unhealthy or deep fried snacks. Evening is a time when you tend to get hunger pangs and eating a few nuts helps to feel full for a longer time. They are not just healthy but are also helps to neutralizes the extra acid in the stomach. Nuts are also a good source of calcium.