The liver is a very important organ of the body as it produces bile, which is essential to digest the food in the stomach. It works as a filter that takes out harmful compounds from the food that is consumed. It also takes out the toxins which are brought out by the gut . Other factors like environmental pollution, alcohol and drugs can also put an adverse effect on the liver. As the organ does a lot of work, it is essential to take good care of it. Thankfully there are foods that can be a blessing for the liver.
1. Garlic – Garlic is a species from the onion family. It helps to activate a few enzymes that increase the process of detoxification and emits harmful toxins from the body. Garlic also contains the antioxidant Selenium which has a role in activating the liver enzymes and keeps the proper functioning of the organ.
2. Leafy green vegetables – Leafy vegetables contain chlorophyll, which is a good antioxidant and helps to protect the cells. Even vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower contain a compound known as glucosinolate that allows the liver to produce detoxifying enzymes.
3. Citrus fruits – Some of the citrus fruits like lemon, oranges and grapefruit are great for cleansing the organ. Such citrus fruits help the liver to produce some important enzymes for detoxification like AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase). These enzymes help to improve the metabolism of the body and strengthen the immunity.
4. Turmeric – Turmeric is a spice which is very commonly used in Asian cuisines. It helps to prevent any oxidative damage to the organ and also keeps away free radicals.
5. Nuts – Nuts are always healthy for overall health – They are a good way to keep the liver clean from the toxins like ammonia and also helps to improve the levels of omega3 fatty acids that support natural cleansing of the liver.
Photo Credits: Pixabay