The term emotional breakdown is not an official term but is used to describe a psychological disorder. In recent times American singer and actress Selena Gomez suffered from an emotional breakdown and has landed her at the hospital. In this case an emotional breakdown can be used to describe many psychological disorders like panic attacks, anxiety, trauma, etc. In many cases a major psychological disorder is not diagnosed until a complete nervous breakdown occurs.
Here are some of the signs and symptoms of an emotional breakdown, however the symptoms can vary from person to person.
1. Depressive symptoms – A person begins to feel loss of hope with thoughts of suicide or self harm.
2. Mood swings – The mood swings can be extreme with an unexplained outburst.
3. Anxiety – This can include high blood pressure, upset stomach, dizziness, trembling and similar symptoms.
4. Panic attacks – This can also include extreme fear chest pain, difficulty in breathing, detachment from reality as well as self.
5. Insomnia – A person might face difficulty in falling asleep or even staying asleep.
6. Hallucinations – Hallucinations is a condition when a person starts to see, hear, smell or taste things that do not exist outside but are in their mind.
7. Paranoia – It is a feeling of suspicion or mistrust of others like believing someone is watching you or stalking you.
8. Isolation – A person might feel isolated or might have a sense of dealing with the problems all alone.
A nervous breakdown is usually triggered by excessive stress, pressure or anxiety. Some of the other factors might include extreme grief, serious financial issues, traumatizing experiences or a family of mental health conditions. Whatever the cause may be, such a condition must not be ignored. The person who is suffering must not hesitate to seek medical help. You can begin by talking to a loved one or trust a friend to take back control of your life.
Photo Credits: Pixabay