Summer is now creeping up on most people in the Northern Hemisphere and this is the ideal time to get ready to protect yourself from the harsh rays of the sun.
Here are 5 ways to protect yourself from the sun this summer:
1. Sunscreen: Taken by itself, sunscreen is not the only way for one to protect themselves. However, sunscreen with SPF 30+ is essential for protection against UV rays, along with protective clothing, sunglasses and hats.
2. Protective Clothing: Use clothes that have a close weave, so that most UV rays do not reach the skin. Wear material like linen, cotton and polyester/cotton close to the body. Darker colors help absorb UV rays as well.
3. Sunglasses: If you wear prescription glasses, add a layer of protective coating to it. Slip on sunglasses that hug the face and do not allow harmful UV rays near the eyes. The eye protection factor for sunglasses should be 10.
4. Headgear: Wear a hat or other forms of headgear to keep your head protected from the sun. Hats should have a broad brim of at least 7.5 cm.Visors and baseball caps are not effective against the sun, as they allow the ears and neck to remain uncovered.
5. Shade: This is the easiest way to protect yourself against the sun. Seek shade and keep other forms of protective clothing and accessories on, so as to protect yourself from the UV rays.