Fall is here and even though the weather is becoming colder and gloomier, we can still take advantage of the amazing selection of fruit and veggies which are available at the moment. Here are some of the best superfoods which will be the perfect addition to your menu these days.
1. Apples – Whether they are sweet or sour, raw or baked into an amazing dish, apples are so satisfying, versatile, simply delicious and more importantly – extremely healthy. They are rich in antioxidants and make sure to eat the skin as well, as it contains flavonoids which are good for your heart.
2. Brussels sprouts – As they have a bitter taste, it is best to combine them with savory sauces – such as balsamic vinegar – and they will taste simply great. Brussels sprouts are rich in folate, iron and vitamin K, so incorporate them into your menu as often as possible.
3. Pears – They are juicy and sweet and you can eat them raw or try to bake or poach them, as this will really bring out their exquisite taste. Pears are also a great source of copper, vitamin C and fiber.
4. Cauliflower – Thanks to its mild and slightly nutty flavor, this veggie is one of the best choices for a side dish during fall and winter. You can blend it to create a texture similar to mash potato or simply steam it. It is also rich in phytonutrients which may lower cholesterol and vitamin C.
5. Dates – This sweet and wonderful fruit can be added to stews or simply chopped up in desserts. It is low in fat and a great source of potassium and fiber.
Photo Credits: Health Benefits Off