Summer is a time when people might often feel bloated and could be caused by water retention. This happens mostly when excess amount of water accumulates in the body. The body consists of nearly 55 to 60 percent water and sometimes excess water can cause swelling in different parts of the body like legs, eyes and hands. Although it is not a difficult task to get rid of water retention, but still we will be discussing about a few ways to avoid the condition especially during the summer season.
- Avoid salty food – The body tends to hold more water when the sodium level increases. Salt has the ability to absorb water and store excess water in the body which makes the person bloated. Some of the foods that are high on salt and should be avoided include chips, fries and other similar snacks with high salt content.
- Drink water – when the body is deprived of water, then dehydration could lead to store water in some of the parts of the body. One has to make sure to drink sufficient water to keep water retention away. For an average adult 2 to 3 litres of water per day is enough.
- Remain active – Leading a sedentary lifestyle can also cause water retention. When the body is active, the water level in the body is maintained due to which it is important to indulge in some physical activities. You can also indulge in some stretching at regular intervals.
- Include potassium in diet – Make sure that you include foods that are good potassium source. When the potassium level and sodium level in the body are not in the right proportion then the body can retain water. Some of the foods like bananas, oranges, lentils, potatoes and dry fruits contain potassium.
- Have a balanced diet – The condition can also be caused due to poor and imbalanced diet. Cut down on processed and salty food and try including foods like carrots, beetroot, avocados and apples which are all rich in fibre.
Photo Credits: Pixabay