Popcorn is a great snack – it is crunchy, salty, delicious and most importantly, healthy. Air popped popcorn has just 31 calories per cup, it is rich in antioxidants and fiber, helps you fight diseases and keeps you full longer. However, prepackaged and buttery kind has too many calories, so here are 6 simple ways to make your homemade popcorn healthier and more enjoyable.
1. Extra virgin coconut oil – it is sweet and salty just like butter, but comes with several very important health benefits, one of them being raising your levels of good cholesterol. Try adding two teaspoons of coconut oil into one tablespoon of popcorn.
2. Sea or rock salt – keep in mind to use sea or rock salt to top your popcorn instead of table salt. The latter contains additives that your body is better off without.
3. Kettle corn – it has only 120 calories per serving, so that makes it a great choice. Try making your own batch, using sea salt and raw, organic sugar.
4. Indian-spiced topping – your popcorn will taste even better and you will be able to eliminate the need for salt, if you top it with crushed coriander and a little bit of cayenne.
5. Cheesy topping – nutritional yeast is naturally salty, tastes cheesy and contains plenty of vitamin B and essential amino acids. Try adding crushed cumin and a pinch of cayenne for a Mexican twist.
6. Chock full of chocolate topping – this recipe contains only 130 calories, it is very easy to make and your popcorn will taste absolutely delicious. You just need to spread popped popcorn on a baking sheet, melt some chocolate chips in the microwave and then drizzle them over your popcorn. Let it sit until hardened and bon appetit!
Photo Credits: Shamata Pilates