Most women are in a dilemma of how to pick a shade that suits their skin, for the right occasion and at what time to use a lip shade.
- Lip shape – Even before considering your skin tone, you should first pay attention to your lip shape. There are some general rules that apply to certain lip shapes like darker colors making lips look smaller and lighter and brighter colors making lips appear bigger. So take note of whether you want to accentuate or minimize your lip shape before you start narrowing down lip colors so it won’t be as overwhelming!
- Old faithful – Even if you carry a ton of lip products in your bag, having that one lipstick that you can always count on to look great is a must! You’re going to want a lip color for every day, nights out, formal occasions and so on. For the purpose of wearing a lip color for every day, choose a lipstick that’s a few steps up from your natural lip color.
- Fair skin – The right lipstick for light complexions, it usually means choosing lighter shades of lipstick like nudes, pinks or light browns. Cool toned colors are nude or a soft mocha color and warm tones are nude peach or pale pinks. Nudes and beiges are universally flattering and those colors work well to brighten up a fair complexion!
- Medium skin – Medium skin tones have a pretty nice palette of colors to choose from like browns, red, fuschias and peaches, copper or bronze colors and cool undertones should give pinks and cranberry colors a go!
- Darker tone – For darker complexions, dark reds are sure to make lips look gorgeous. Even ruby, wine-colored hues & coppers and bronzes look pretty on your pucker. While some dark complected ladies look lovely in nudes and lighter colors rather than these recommended reds, beauty experts generally agree on avoiding orange.