The Omicron variant is touted to be a highly contagious variant of the COVID-19 and is threatening people and economies across the globe. It still continues to be related to COVID-19 and has similar properties to others. Here are a few facts that people need to know about the omicron variant of COVID-19.
1. Omicron has more variants – Viruses can tend to replicate and can take on mutations to make it different from the earlier versions of the same virus. Omicron has many mutations than the other variants that were discovered earlier.
2. It can spread easily than other COVID strains – It is highly transmissible when compared to the Delta variant, which itself was considered as more transmissible.
3. It could cause mild illness – Although it still cannot be said with surety, but it causes less severe diseases than other variants. Reports have shown that the hospitalizations are lower and is also less severe than the Delta variant.
4. Symptoms are similar – It cannot be said that the symptoms are different than the previous variants, but it includes fever, chills, trouble breathing, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of taste and smell and a sore throat.
5. How to be safe – The best way to be safe from the variant is to get your vaccination shots. People who have had two doses should get their third booster shot if they are eligible for it. A number of doctors have opined that the third booster shot provides protection against the recent omicron variant.
6. Continue with the earlier safety measures – The key is protection and safety. Continue to wear a mask, avoid crowds, maintain hygiene in and outside the house, carry a hand sanitizer and maintain a distance from people. Frequently wash your hands with water and soap or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer when outdoors.
Tip– Continue to protect small children as majority of them across the globe continue to remain unvaccinated.
Photo Credits: Pixabay