The pandemic has left many people hesitant to visit the hospital for minor ailments. This has also made people hesitant to avoid a visit to the dentist. Poor dental hygiene can lead to a number of problems for your teeth and gums. Your oral health also needs attention and many of us ignore it. Here are some of the dental hygiene mistakes that one should avoid.
1. Not using a mouthwash – While you must be brushing your teeth twice a day, but it is also important to rinse your mouth with a good mouthwash. A mouthwash helps you to get rid of the remaining bacteria inside the mouth in other parts except the teeth.
2. Not visiting the dentist annually – It is important to give an annual visit to the dentist to rule out if you are having any caries or other problems. Visiting a dentist is equally important like having a full body check-up once in a while. You can also get your teeth cleaned as certain things like plaque cannot be cleaned by a regular brush.
3. Ignoring bleeding gums – Bleeding of the gums could be due to a number of reasons. A red stain on the toothbrush is often an indication. It could also lead to a problem like gingivitis and inflammation of the gums. If you experience bleeding of the gums the dentist needs to rule out the actual reason. Sometimes it can also happen due to cuts or abrasions. Any bleeding in the mouth should be giving attention.
4. Usage of too much toothpaste – Using pea sized toothpaste is usually enough.
5. Using the same brush for many months – Typically a brush should be replaced every month or at least every two months.
6. Brushing with full force – Your teeth is covered with an enamel that protects them from sensitivity. Using full force while brushing can erode the enamel of the teeth and lead to teeth sensitivity problems.
Photo Credits: Pixabay