You can never predict as to when you would need a plumber to fix a leaking pipe or release a choked drain. Usually these problems arise due to our own ways of using the pipes and faucets at home. Apart from cleaning and maintaining, there are a number of things that you need to keep in mind that would help to avoid the problem of a leaking pipe or a choked drain, all related to plumbing. Here we will be discussing a few things that you should keep in mind while using the sinks and faucets.
1. Do not pour grease down the drain – Make sure that you don’t pour down any oil used for frying or any other fatty substance. When grease cools down its coagulates and could be deposited in to the pipes. If you want to dispose cool the oil down and put it in to the garbage.
2. Avoid caustic cleaners – People who have old pipes, should avoid using the conventional drain cleaners. Caustic cleaners have chemicals that can cause erosion and then cause a leak. You can use natural cleaners instead that work with enzymatic action.
3. Leave faucets dripping – people who have earlier faced the problem of frozen pipes know that it leaves with a threat of a busted pipe. Leaving the faucet dripping would protect the faucet from getting frozen especially when the temperature drops during the night.
4. Close the water valve when on a vacation – Before you leave on a vacation, make sure that you close the water valve that will help you to avoid a disaster. Or you could end up with some major plumbing expense when you return.
5. Flush the water heater tank – At least once in a year, make sure that you flush the water from the tank and clean all the salts and deposits that accumulate. The minerals affect the proper functioning of the heater. If you cannot do it yourself, get a plumber to do it.
Photo Credits: Pixabay