Liver is one of the most important organs of a human body and it is important for this organ to remain healthy for the overall functioning. It helps to regulate most of the chemical levels in the blood and also excretes bile that is important towards digesting food. But there could be a number of foods that you are consuming on an everyday basis that could harm the liver. Here are a few foods that should be avoided for the optimal health of the liver.
1. Soda/aerated drinks – Soda or aerated drinks are not just bad for your weight but is also bad for the liver as they contain high fructose corn syrup. Glucose can be used for energy by the body while the fructose has to be first processed by the liver. The fructose can lead to excess deposition of fat that can inflame or damage the organ.
2. Sugary foods – People who have a habit of eating deserts everyday could be at high risk of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. There could be a number of foods including ice-cream, cookies, condiments, sugary juices, sports drinks that could be extra sugary and lead to health problems.
3. Foods containing high fat – Foods which are high on fat and low on carbs could be harmful for the organ which has to first filter and process the nutrients. High fat diet could make the organ overloaded with fat that could be deposited instead of being filtered out.
4. Too much of vegetable oil – While vegetable oil can be healthy, it could eventually lead to poor conditions of the bile producer with time. These oils contain Omega-6 fatty acids.
5. Alcohol – Drinking too much if alcohol can cause serious health problems. Excessive drinking of alcohol can lead to liver inflammation which could also lead to cirrhosis and then failure if it is left untreated. It does not take much alcohol to damage the liver.
Photo Credits: Pixabay