The summer is here and the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread. Under such circumstances, it is also important for people to maintain their immunity levels. A number of people might be under the impression that immunity is managed on its own during summer, but that does not have any truth. Summer is a time when the body needs some coolants and the best way to deal with it is to have the best and seasonal foods. Here are a few tips to build your immunity during the summer days.
1. Mangoes – Mangoes are seasonal and only available for a few months. They are rich in Vitamin C that helps to improve immunity and also helps to improve the iron absorption. It also has vitamin K that reduces the risk of being anemic and gives strength to the bones.
2. Tender coconut – Tender coconut flesh is very nutritious and has got plenty of proteins. The water in the fruit is rich in vitamin C and helps to improve immunity. This also helps digestion and cures constipation. Tender coconut water also contains anti-oxidants that prevents kidney stones and reduces high blood pressure.
3. Watermelon – Watermelon is seasonal and contains plenty of water content. It helps the body to be hydrated and is rich in vitamin C. Watermelon reduces the heat and also helps to improve the immunity of the body.
4. Include foods that have a balance of sweet and bitter – A sweet taste helps to digest the food while the sour and bitter foods like berries, curry leaves, fenugreek, apples and strawberries help to tighten the tissues.
5. Include herbs and spices in diet – Some of the herbs like cardamom, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds help to keep the body cool. They can be included in salads, tea and a few curries as well.
Note: Avoid consuming excessive salt during summer time as it increases body heat. Also avoid stepping out to much in the sun as it can dehydrate the body.
Photo Credits: Pixabay