Amidst the pandemic, the self-proning technique is increasingly becoming popular. COVID-19 patients, who are at the hospital or are quarantining at home can use this technique as it helps to increase the oxygen levels in the blood. Oxygen levels are vital for the patients who are recovering from the virus. It is important to maintain those levels.
What is Self-proning?
It is a breathing technique which is easy to perform and can be done at home without the need of anyone’s help. The technique is very simple and can be done at home on the bed with the help of a few pillows. First the patient has to lay on their belly with a pillow placed on the chest with the head below the shoulder levels. Another pillow has to be placed right below the cervix and the third has to be placed below the foot.
After holding this position for 30 minutes, the patient has to be turned to the right side with a pillow under the shoulder level, another below the hip and another between the legs. This position has to be repeated for another 30 minutes. The same position has to be maintained for another 30 minutes on the left side.
Things to keep in mind:
1. Self-Proning helps in increasing the oxygen levels in the body.
2. Avoid the practicing this technique after having meals.
3. Make sure that the room where the patient is kept should be well-ventilated.
4. The technique should be done only up to 16 hours in a day.
5. For maximum benefits, the position needs to be changed every 30 minutes.
6. The technique should be done only when the patient has a tough time breathing.
7. This should be done only till it could be tolerated.
8. The technique should not be done by women who are pregnant.
9. People who have major cardiac conditions should also avoid this technique.
Photo Credits: Pixabay