While the world is dealing with the second and dangerous wave of the coronavirus pandemic, the rollout of the vaccines becomes a crucial element. But under such critical circumstances, the Food and Drug Administration and Centres for Disease Control and Prevention have recommended to pause the usage of the single-dose vaccine by Johnson and Johnson. There have been a number of cases of blood clots in the receivers and those cases need to be reviewed.
The agencies issued a statement on April 13, 2021 that mentioned that a meeting will be held by the Advisory Committee on the Immunization Practices. The meeting is expected to be held on April 14, 2021 and six cases are expected to be reviewed. The committee will be reviewing the rare and severe type of blood clot in the people who have taken the vaccine. Later the FDA will be reviewing the analysis as the process will also be investigating the cases.
Dr. Anne Schuchat, the Principal deputy director of the CDC said that until that process is completed they recommend that the use of the vaccine is paused as a precautionary measure. So far more than 6.8 million doses of the single-dose vaccine have been administered across the country. Meanwhile, the officials in a number of states have said that they need to determine how it will be affecting the current vaccine supply and distribution plans. The cases of blood clots are being investigated by the FDA and CDC. It had occurred in women who suffered from a blood clot known as cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, which was noticed along with low levels of blood platelets.
The symptoms were noticed six to 13 days after they were administered with the vaccine who were aged between 18 and 48. However, the agencies have said that such adverse events are very rare but bringing a pause is essential so the healthcare workers could be made aware of the reactions and can properly recognize and deal with the case.
Photo Credits: Pixabay