Omega-3 fatty acids are incredibly important for the health and have some powerful benefits for the body and brain. They can be found in a number of foods like flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, fish and other sea food, soybean oil, canola oil, certain eggs, yogurt, milk and infant formulas. Here are the number of health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
1. Fights depression and anxiety – Depression and anxiety is one of the common mental disorders that a number of people suffer from across the globe. Consuming foods with omega-3 fatty acids or taking supplements can help to deal with such symptoms.
2. Improves eye health – Omega-3 is related to a reduced risk of macular degeneration which is one of the leading causes on the world of permanent eye damage and blindness.
3. Promotes brain health during pregnancy – It is important for pregnant women to get enough Omega-3 as it has a number of benefits for the unborn child.
4. Fights inflammation – The nutrient has the ability to fight even the most chronic inflammations as it can reduce the production of the molecules and substances which are linked to inflammation.
5. Fights auto-immune diseases – Auto-immune diseases are those when the immune system of the body mistakes the healthy cells for foreign cells and starts attacking them. The nutrient can fight such diseases and could also be important during the early life days.
6. Fights age-related mental disorders – a decline of the brain function is an unavoidable consequence of ageing. Intake of Omega-3 is linked to a decrease in the age-related mental decline. It also reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
7. Improves bone health – A number of studies have said that Omega-3s have the ability to improve bone health as it boosts the amount of calcium in the bones. People who took supplements had reported a reduces joint pain and also an increase in grip strength.
Photo Credits: Pixabay