Shopping malls have become common and are found in every urban or suburban places. People who are regular at such places might be aware of the tricks that are applied. But people who are not very frequent to such places need to know about a few things and be aware of. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind while you are shopping at a mall.
1. Big shopping carts make you shop more – The large shopping carts which are placed just outside the shop intend to make you buy more things as the shoppers would tend to add more things to it whether they need it or not. Make sure that you stick to your grocery list or pick up a smaller cart/basket.
2. Signs of sale make you spend more – The sale signs are usually marked in bold letters in red and makes the shoppers feel that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Such signs also make the shoppers spend for things that you don’t even need or could not be useful to you.
3. Clearance sections make you spend for unessential things – The clearance section is indeed drool worthy and might even be value for money. But it makes you spend for things that could never be used.
4. The architecture of the mall confuses and disorients – it is known as the Gruen Transfer which is named after Victor Gruen who had built America’s first mall. This phenomenon is where the people get drawn towards unnecessary things and get disoriented while trying to buy things you don’t need.
5. Slow music playing the background makes you spend more time at the store – A slow music that keeps playing at the store makes people spend more time and they end up spending for different things.
6. Most desirable items are at eye levels – Retailers place the hottest selling items at eye levels that forces them to buy and spend more money.
Photo Credits: Pixabay