Turmeric is one of the popular ingredients that is commonly used in Asian cuisines. They are grown for the root and has a number of health benefits. It contains curcumin which is a natural anti-oxidant and is also responsible for giving turmeric a bright yellow color. It is from the family of ginger and is sometimes also used for fabric dying. Here are some of the health benefits of including turmeric in your everyday diet.
1. Prevents cancer – The curcumin ingredient found in turmeric has the abilities to prevent the growth, development and formation of cancer cells at the molecular level. It reduces the risk of the disease and also fights with the effects of the carcinogens.
2. Improves immunity – Once again the curcumin plays the role of fighting a number of viruses. It also has anti-inflammatory properties apart from being anti-microbial.
3. Anti-depressant – Not many are aware that turmeric helps to improve the mood as it is a mood booster and helps to fight depression. It increases the production of serotonin and dopamine and reduces the production of chemicals which are responsible for depression.
4. Good for heart health –Turmeric helps to reduce the free radical damage and also has anti-inflammatory properties. As it helps to improve endothelial functions it prevents a number of cardiovascular diseases.
5. Helps to relieve joint pain – Since the spice has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in reducing the pain which is associated with joints.
6. Helps in throat soreness – Since it has anti-microbial properties it helps in people who have a sore throat. Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a cup full of warm water and sip it like tea. It starts working immediately and provides relief when consumed at least twice or thrice a day.
Tip – The benefits of turmeric can also be absorbed when a little is added to everyday diet. It can be added to a curry or even breads to get the maximum benefit.
Photo Credits: Pixabay