Winter is a tough time for the skin. The dryness affects the skin and makes it challenging to maintain the moisture level. Lips are one of the very sensitive portions of the skin and are prone to get chapped during the winter season. To add to the horror, application of any cosmetics like lipsticks, make the condition worse. They tend to become dry, flaky look unpleasant and sometimes it can even hurt and bleed. Here are some of the easy DIY methods of preventing the lips from getting chapped.
1. Stop licking them – Many of us think that licking the lips maintains the moisture level. But that is not true and the condition becomes worse. It causes irritation. Saliva contains enzymes that helps to digest food. It is better to prevent yourself from licking your lips.
2. Use ointment based lip balms – When you are buying a lip balm, make sure that they contain glycerine or essential oils, sunscreen and petrolatum. Even during winter it is essential that you have a lip balm that protects you from sunlight.
3. Avoid lip balms with camphor, menthol and eucalyptus – Make sure that you don’t use lip balms that contain menthol, eucalyptus and camphor. Such contents have the lips drier and can make the condition worse.
4. Avoid rubbing and peeling – If your lips are feeling flaky or are peeling off, make sure that you don’t scrub, brush or rub them. This will make your lips sore and create further cracks. You can instead apply a thick coat of an ointment based lip balm.
5. Consult a doctor – If the problems continue, despite doing everything that you have read above, and the problem continues to persist, then it is advisable to consult a dermatologist who can rule out the actual cause of the condition. There are possibilities of a serious underlying condition that you might not be aware of. Make sure that you treat it immediately.
Photo Credits: Pixabay