Calcium is a mineral that is essential for the proper functioning of certain organs like the bones and teeth. The main source of calcium is milk and other dairy products. Apart from milk there are also other foods that are also a good source of calcium. There are people who could be allergic to dairy products and for them other foods could prove to be a good source of calcium. Here are a few foods that can provide adequate amount of the mineral and should be included in everyday diet.
1. Nuts – Nuts are packed with plenty of nutrients and minerals and are great for even those who are looking forward to lose some weight. They also contain calcium apart from fats and proteins. Walnuts, cashew nuts and almonds are some of the nuts that are rich in the mineral.
2. Poppy, chia and sesame seeds – Seeds are high on calcium content and also provide some of the other nutrients like protein, healthy fats and Omega-3 fatty acids. Poppy seeds are commonly found in South Asian cuisines while chia seeds are mostly used in deserts.
3. Collard greens – Green and leafy vegetables are always healthy and provide a number of nutrients that are good for the body. Some of the vegetables like kale, spinach and broccoli have high content of calcium and are very beneficial. They also contain a number of vitamins and minerals good for the body.
4. Legumes – Chic peas, lentils and kidney beans are high on protein content and also provide the bone mineral. They can be included in the everyday diet for best results.
5. Sardines – Apart from sardines, even canned salmon is a great source of the white mineral. They are also rich in protein and Omega 3 Fatty acids.
6. Sweet potatoes – A medium sized sweet potato contains about 68 mg of calcium and is a great mineral for the strength of the bones.
Photo Credits: Pixabay