A number of people use humidifiers indoors as it helps to up the moisture level in the enclosure. Certain weather conditions tend to make the place dry and it could be harmful as it can lead to conditions like nose bleed or dehydration. It is also great for people who are suffering from cold and cough. But if it is used in excess, it can also lead to respiratory problems. If you are planning to buy a humidifier, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. Here are a few tips.
1. Check humidity levels – Before you zero on a particular humidifier, make sure that you check the humidity levels of it. In case of dryness in the air, it can cause nasal irritation or skin irritation, but at the same time too much of moisture can also attract dust mites and bacteria which can lead to asthma and other allergies.
2. Check its type – There are a number of kinds of humidifiers like the central humidifier, impeller humidifier, steam vaporizer or ultrasonic humidifiers. Select them according to the purpose. People who have children at home should buy the device that releases cool mist instead of hot vapour.
3. Watch for humidifiers with humidistats – Such devices come with an extra feature that automatically shuts the machine when the humidity level reaches to a certain point or peak point.
4. Consider room size – Before buying a device, consider the size of the room and select the device appropriately.
5. Buy a sturdy stand for it – Once you have bought the humidifier, it needs a sturdy stand for it or a desk.
6. Buy distilled water – Always make sure that you use distilled water for the device. You can also opt for demineralised water.
7. Keep it clean – Always make sure that the device is clean and dust free. Clean the device regularly.
Photo Credits: Pixabay