Pregnancy is a beautiful phase in a woman’s life. Since it is also a sensitive phase, there are a number of things that a pregnant woman needs to take care of. Not many are aware that there are a few household things that can be toxic for the unborn baby and should be avoided. Here are a few household things that should be avoided with a pregnant woman at home.
1. Mosquito spray – There are many mosquito repellents that are available in the market, which are good to keep away the bugs and mosquitoes. But one has to be careful as they are not favourable during pregnancy time. Such products contain certain chemicals that can penetrate through the skin and might even harm the baby who is developing inside.
2. Wall paint – It is good to revamp the house while preparing for the arrival of a new family member. One has to be aware that paint contains lead particles and can increase the risk of premature birth. Try using non-toxic paints instead of the regular ones. They might be a little expensive but are safe during pregnancy.
3. Cat litter box – People have cats at home often have a cat litter box which contain a parasite known as Toxoplasma gondii. If such a parasite is ingested, then it can lead to serious complications in the new born baby and might even cause side effects to the expecting mother.
4. Naphthalene balls – Naphthalene balls are usually used to keep away the pests and insects from the cupboards. But Naphthalene is a chemical and can cause a few side effects like dizziness, nausea and other health complications if it is ingested.
5. Plastic – Plastic is bad for the environment and is also bad for a pregnant woman. They can contain some toxic chemicals like phthalates that can cause a few complications for the fetus and can also affect the growth of the babies.
Photo Credits: Pixabay