Finger millet is one of the healthiest grains and should be consumed on an everyday basis. It is considered as a great cereal but still not many people include this in their everyday diet. But now the grain is gaining popularity as more people are inclined towards a healthy lifestyle. Finger millet is also known as ragi and the best part is that it is gluten-free. This means that people who suffer from celiac disease can consume this. Here are some of the health benefits of ragi.
1. Best sources of Calcium and Protein – Not many are aware that finger millet is one of the best non-dairy sources of calcium. One cup of ragi flour provides 10 grams of protein. People who are vegan can consider consuming finger millet in any cooked form as it is a great source of protein.
2. Helps in weight loss – Finger millet is loaded with dietary fibre which helps to keep us feel full for a longer time. This also reduces the appetite and ultimately leads to weight loss. Fibre also helps to cut the fat and works great for the gut. It is also great for digestion and helps people who have constipation issues.
3. Good source of iron – Women often suffer from lack of iron and consuming finger millet on an everyday basis can provide iron content for the body. The sprouted version of the grain is more beneficial than the flour form as it has more vitamin C.
4. Helps to deal with anxiety and depression – Ragi has an antioxidant known as Tryptophan along with amino acids which works as a natural relaxant. People who are suffering from depression or often experience anxiety, can consume finger millet instead of depending on heavy medicines that can make you feel dizzy the entire day.
5. Reduces bad cholesterol levels – It is the anti-oxidants content that works to fight against the free radicals and other infections.
Photo Credits: Pixabay