Cucumbers have always been known for their health benefits. But many consider it nothing more than a salad component. People who love to munch on cucumber have a good news as they actually have a variety of health benefits. Here are some of the health benefits of eating cucumber.
1. Cucumbers are nutritious – Apart from being low in calories, cucumbers are packed with some of the important and essential nutrients. They contain, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Magnesium, Potassium and Manganese, all that are important nutrients that are essential for good health.
2. Packed with antioxidents and micronutrients – The Journal of Aging Research and Clinical Practice has mentioned that polyphenols known as lignans may be helpful in treating estrogen-related cancers.
3. Keeps blood pressure in check – Cucumber contains the electrolyte potassium and can reduce the sodium-induced water retention and lowers blood pressure.
4. Helps to maintain healthy digestion– Cucumbers do not contain many calories but have fibre that helps to improve gut health and bowel movement. It is also beneficial in managing some of the conditions like diabetes and high cholesterol levels.
5. Helps keep the body hydrated – Remaining hydrated is essential to prevent constipation and flushing out the bacteria. Eating cucumber helps to reach the recommended everyday fluid intake.
6. Maintains gut health – As mentioned earlier, cucumber contains fibre which is great for the gut health. When eaten in the pickle form they become even better. The Fermented process makes them a perfect fuel for the gut.
7. Promotes healthy weight – Cucumbers can be a great addition for the diet for weight loss or even with a normal diet. They can also help in weight loss in sense that if you fill up more of them then you are less likely to eat junk food.
8. Helps regulate diabetes –Cucumber is rich in water and expands the stomach and thus reduces the cravings for sugary snacks which is a great way to regulate insulin levels.
9. Versatile ingredient – Since cucumber is neutral in flavor, they can be included in a number of dishes.
10. Helps to strengthen bones – Calcium is not just the only component that keeps the bones healthy. Vitamin K also helps to maintain bone health and cucumber is packed with the nutrient.
Photo Credits: Pixabay