Castor oil is known to enrich your hair and provide necessary nutrition for good hair growth & maintenance. It has many other uses as well, including moisturizing dry hair, taming frizz, and managing tangles. It can also make your hair grow stronger and thicker. But how to use & apply castor oil to extract maximum benefits?
So go grab the following supplies before we begin:
- Castor oil
- Other oil (argan, avocado, coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, etc)
- Hot water
- Shower cap
- Old shirt (recommended)
Step 1: Preparing the oil
Castor oil has thick consistency and hence is difficult for application. Therefore, it is advised you use it by diluting it with another hair oil of your choice. you could probably use this mixture – 3 tablespoons castor oil, 1 tablespoon jojoba oil and 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
Castor oil smells bad and if you can’t stand the smell; just put in a few drops of essential oils such as rosemary, peppermint or tea tree. Mix oil well my putting it in a closed lid jar and heat the oil by placing it in a bowl of warm water for about 2-4 minutes. Once the oil is warm, pour it into a small bowl. This will make it easier for you to dip your fingers into when you go to apply it.
Step 2: Application
- Dampen your hair with water using a spray bottle on your scalp. This will help the oil absorb better into your hair.
- Cover your shoulders with a towel to protect your clothes from getting covered in oil and wear ordinary clothes.
- Begin applying oil onto the scalp and massage for 5 minutes in circular motion with your fingertips.
- Scoop a little bit more oil onto your fingers, and rub it between your palms. Then, run your hands across your hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap to trap the heat inside and to keep your hair from drying out.
- Wrap a hot towel around your head and the shower cap for about 30 minutes to 3 hours or even overnight.
- Use this treatment once or twice a week for best results.
- Wash off your hair with lukewarm water.