Here is why you should stock more shallots in you kitchen.
Shallots are small onions which have higher nutritional value than the regular onions. They have plenty of flavonoids as well as polyphenolic compounds.
Here are a few health benefits of shallots that might not have struck you.
1. Good for clearing bad cholesterol – Shallots contain Allicin which is a compound that is directly linked to the regulation of cholesterol levels in the body. It also helps to prevent heart ailments, strokes and atherosclerosis.
2. Helps to reduce blood pressure levels – Due to its potassium and allicin content, it is good for people who suffer from high blood pressure. These compounds helps to reduce blood pressure levels in the body. It relaxes the walls of the blood vessels and helps easy blood flow.
3. Beneficial to control diabetes – Shallots contains anti-diabetic properties due to allyl disulfide and allium content, which reduce the sugar levels in the body.
4. Increases metabolism of the body – Shallots contain higher mineral content when compared to the regular onions. They are rich in copper and iron which help to improve circulation in the body and increases the production of red blood cells.
5. Rich in anti-oxidants – Anti-oxidants are important for the body as they help to slow down the aging process. Shallots contain kemferol, quercetin and other sulfuric anti-oxidants.
Photo Credits: healthfitmagazine