Ever thought of the health benefits of tamarind?
This unusually textured fruit is mostly visible in south asian kitchens as its is used extensively for flavoring dishes. The tangy tasting Tamarind not only has a myriad health benefits, but also contains copious amounts of vitamins, minerals and dietary fibers in it.
Here are a few specific health benefits of tamarind that might have been shrouded in unawareness –
1. Good for the heart – Tamarind has high fibre content and helps to reduce cholesterol. It also helps to cut the LDL cholesterol which accumulates in the veins and arteries. Tamarind has potassium levels which helps to reduce high blood pressure levels.
2. Good for digestion – It is healthy to include tamarind in the diet as a fruit or as a spice which in turn helps to improve the health of your digestive system. It also helps to stimulate the bile activity which helps to dissolve food faster.
3. Helps lose excess fat – People who are trying hard to lose extra fat from the body can binge on tamarind as it contains hydroxycitric acid or HCA, which is known to boost metabolism. Tamarind also helps to suppress appetite.
4. Anti- Inflammatory properties – Tamarind contains essential oils and anti-inflammatory properties, and usually helps in joint pains, arthritis, rheumatic conditions and gouts. It also helps to reduce irritation in the eye.
5. Build Immune system – Tamarind has high levels of Vitamin C which has anti-oxidant effects boosting the immune system. Tamarind also helps to reduce the occurrence of parasites in the body and has anti-septic and anti-microbial effect.
Photo Credits: stylesatlife