Whiskey isn’t just another alcoholic beverage, it has health benefits.
For all the alcohol lovers in the world, here is some good news – Whiskey has a modest list of health benefits! This might be a shocker for all the teetotalers around, but this distilled alcoholic beverage does have some healthy tricks rolled up its sleeves.
Here are the 5 health benefits of whiskey that you might be unaware of –
1. Healthy heart – Blood clotting is necessary when an injury occurs and the bleeding needs to stop, but blood clotting in vessels otherwise can be extremely fatal. Whiskey is known to reduce the risk of blood clots as the high anti-oxidant levels in it curb the oxidation of a low density lipoprotein contained in the blood. It also helps to elevate levels of good cholesterol and reduces fat deposits in the arteries.
2. Weight issues – Alcohol is usually associated with a pot belly, but whiskey, no! Whiskey has no fat content and contains minuscule amounts of sodium, so all those weight watchers and alcohol lovers, whiskey is the way to go.
3. Helps cold and flu – The handsome hero in all those old movies who poured a glass of neat whiskey to cure his cold wasn’t wrong. Whiskey really does help to get a grip on cold and flu symptoms such as an itchy throat. The best results are achieved when it is consumed with a tinge of hot water and lemon.
4. Helps avoid diabetes – Whiskey has been known to better the body’s ability of controlling glucose and insulin levels. Thus, decreasing the risk of diabetes. Moderation is the key here!
5. Reduces anxiety and stress – Well of course, all alcohol does take the edge off your nerves and so does whiskey. 1 or 2 servings of neat whiskey are sure to calm down those frayed nerves, but don’t go overboard and definitely don’t drink or operate machinery after this.
Disclaimer – Any alcohol had in copious amounts isn’t beneficial for the body, whiskey does have its health benefits, but having too much of it is going to land you at AA (Alcohol Anonymous)! Please check with your doctor before attempting any of these suggestions.
UpdatedTrends.com video on the benefits of whiskey: