The humble Jackfruit – which is known to be native to the lowlands of India – has manifold health benefits.
From the outside the fruit has a prickly texture, but on the inside it has chunks of bulb-like flesh which is to be eaten. Known for it’s distinct smell – very often repulsive to some – the Jackfruit’s hidden qualities will surprise you.
Here are the 5 benefits that the Jackfruit possess:
1. Rich Source of Energy: Jackfruit contains high amounts of natural sugars such as fructose and sucrose, thus it gives a quick boost of energy.
2. Controls Blood Pressure: The potassium levels in the Jackfruit is very high, which helps control sodium levels. A good level of potassium is also important to maintain electrolyte levels in the body. Thus a bite of the fruit could control high blood pressure and decrease the risk of a heart attack.
3. Eye Health: As the Jackfruit is a rich source of antioxidants such as Vitamin C, it is highly effective in preventing the degeneration of the retina. Jackfruits can slowdown the development of cataract and muscular degeneration. It also contains Vitamin A which is an important nutrient for eye health. It improves eye vision and prevents eyesight problems.
4. Prevention from Bone Degeneration: Jackfruits are high on Calcium which is a crucial element in body’s bones. A rich supply of calcium to the bones can help prevent many bone-related diseases such as osteoporosis. Every 100 grams of Jackfruit contains 24mg of calcium.
5. Slows Ageing and Improves Skin: Ageing is a great cause of concern for many women, numerous creams and skin products are flooding the market, all claiming to be anti-ageing miracles. The Jackfruit has a solution to that problem. Extremely rich in anti-oxidants, it prevents the free radicals from speeding up ageing of the skin. It is also known to help maintain moisture levels in the skin, so bye bye to dry and old looking skin!
The Jackfruit’s benefits weigh as much as the fruit!