Diabetes is a serious disease, but it is comforting to know that there are simple and effective ways to reduce the risk of it. Defend yourself from prediabetes and diabetes type 2 by incorporating the following habits into your lifestyle.
1. Hit the weights – you can significantly lower your chances of developing prediabetes by upping your lean muscle mass. Researchers found that people’s prediabetes risk fell by 12 percent for every 10 percent increase in muscle mass. Keep in mind to also include cardio activity such as running, swimming or cycling into your workout.
2. Get enough sleep – people who sleep less than 6 hours a night on a regular basis are at a higher risk of developing diabetes, because sleep deprivation can increase the body’s insulin resistance. Aim for a solid 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night.
3. Fiber up – fiber is not just good for digestion, but it also controls sugar spikes after meal by slowing down the glucose’s flow into the bloodstream. Make sure to add brown rice to your diet, as eating two or more servings each week reduces the risk of diabetes by 11 percent.
4. Relax – when our body senses stress, it releases hormones which are increasing our blood sugar. Practice deep breathing and meditation, get massages or listen to some relaxing music. It will help you to suppress stress hormones and lower blood sugar.
5. Incorporate the Omegas – omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial to your body in so many ways and they can help to improve insulin sensitivity. Eat wild salmon or sardines at least once a week.