Smoking cigarettes is one of the toughest addictions to break. Many people try their best to get over this handicap, but it is easier said than done. The benefits of quitting are tremendous, but taking the step and making a permanent change is tougher than what most people can imagine.
Here are 5 ways to help you quit smoking cigarettes for good.
1. Pick a day: You will need to pick a particular day to stop smoking and make this day memorable. Every time you come across this day in the month or year treat yourself to something special. Mark this day in your calender and count the number of days that have passed since you quit.
2. Keep busy: Busying yourself with various activities when it comes time to smoke will keep your mind away from the act. Out of sight is out of mind. Keep ashtrays and cigarettes away from your house and personal space.
3. Seek support: Talk to people who have given up smoking. Ask them about their experiences and get some feedback. This will help you stay on track.
4. Deal with slips and withdrawal symptoms: Initially withdrawal symptoms and slips could occur. You must be prepared for such events and not let it get the better of you. Take it in your stride and keep pushing forward.
5. Record income: Keep a daily note of the money you have saved by not smoking. Tally this list at the end of the week and month and treat yourself to something special with the money you have saved.