Many times hiccups can be very annoying even though they normally subside in a few minutes. But when they do not disappear, then a quick remedy is needed. They usually occur when someone eats too fast or if someone swallows air when yawning. Sometimes hiccups also occur due to the contracting of the diaphragm, whch causes the vocal cords to shut. Here are some of the remedies that can help in subsiding the hiccups at home.
1. Sugar – Put a teaspoon of sugar in you mouth and then suck it slowly till it dissolves. Or you can also try putting it under your tongue and allow it to dissolve on its own.
2. Digestible Papaya tablets – You can try chewing some digestible papaya tablets or can even try some pieces of fresh papaya. You can also try eating pineapple to subside hiccups.
3. Boiled water and cardamom – Boil some fresh cardamom powder along with two cups of eater until it becomes one cup. Strain it and allow it to cool. Drink it while it is still warm.
4. Yogurt and salt – You can try mixing a cup of yogurt and two tablespoons of salt. The combination is indeed odd but sometimes helps in subsiding hiccups.
5. Deep breath – Take a deep breath and hold your breath, it tends to work in some cases.