Updated Trends: Normally, a wisdom tooth begins to emerge between the age of 17 and 21, but one cannot really predict the exact age when it might emerge. Sometimes a healthy wisdom tooth does not cause much problem, but some of them do cause a lot of pain. Here are a few things that can be done to subside the pain.
1. Chewing gum – Try chewing gum on the side where you are having pain. Chewing of the gum gently massages the painful area and might give some temporary relief.
2. Salt water rinse – Add some salt to some warm water. Take some amount of the solution in the mouth and rinse. The warmth of the water may soothe the pain. After 30 seconds spit out the solution and make sure that you do not swallow the solution.
3. Numbing agent – There are some numbing agents that are available over the counter at pharmacists and also supermarkets. Apply some on the affected area and this can numb the area for about 30 minutes at a time.
4. Pain relievers – There are many over the counter pain relievers that are available. Acetaminophen is a good drug that can help in relieving the pain related to wisdom tooth.
5. Visit a dentist – If the above solutions do not relieve of the pain in a few days, then it is essential that you visit your dentist at the earliest.