Updated Trends: Coconut oil is an ingredient which has health values that many people are not even aware of. The best fat comes from coconuts, but one has to be careful while selecting coconut oil, as it has to be in the purest form. Here are the top five benefits of coconut oil.
1. Skin care – In place of an expensive moisturizer, one can opt for coconut oil to apply on the skin. People suffering from psoriasis and eczema have reported benefits from the oil.
2. Baking – Not many people are aware that coconut oil can be used while preparing baked goods. The coconut oil adds a mild flavor to the baked goods.
3. Cooking – Coconut oil can be used for cooking too. It not only adds a good flavor to the food, but also keeps a health check. It can be used as a good substitute for cooking in place of butter or vegetable oils.
4. Chapped lips – Coconut oil is a good treatment for the chapped lips. Unlike petroleum jelly, it is not greasy and is also a natural treatment.
5. Nutritional value – Coconut oil can also be used as a good nutritional supplement. It is known to create energy for the body and also helps in controlling appetite.
Although it has several commercial benefits, doctors advice against using too much of coconut oil in cooking since it has a high content of saturated fat. It is good in dealing with skin care issues and in many Asian countries, it is used as part of hair care routine.